Many men and women support the idea of organ donation, but are misinformed about the process and do not register. In this video from OrganDonor.gov, you can learn more about how simple the registration process is and how many lives you can save with your enrollment.
Signing up as an organ and tissue donor can provide a recipient with a second chance at a normal and active life. If you are interested in learning more about enrolling as a donor in your state or if you simply want to find out more about the transplantation process, visit OrganDonor.gov or contact Southern Hills Hospital & Medical Center at (702) 880-2100.
The Sunrise Health System of Hospitals Awarded Re-certification as Primary Stroke Centers from The Joint Commission
This distinction recognizes hospitals for offering the best possible treatment for stroke patients …
Join the Teachers Health Trust for a free Diabetes Day hosted at Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center. Learn more about how diabetes affects your heart, vision, circulation and health. Educational booths will feature experts on diabetes, stroke, hearts, osteoporosis, breast cancer and wound care. Plus screenings for blood pressure, bone density, blood glucose, vision and more.
Saturday, May 19, 2012
9 a.m. to Noon
Sunrise Hospital Auditorium
3186 S. Maryland Parkway
Las Vegas, NV 89109
Skin cancer is by far the leading cause of cancer in the United States, with over two million new diagnoses every year. In fact, skin cancers account for more than half of all cancer cases in the U.S. according to the American Cancer Society . Although many men and women are at an increased risk for this condition due to excessive sun exposure or past sunburn, there are steps that can be taken to detect skin cancer in its most treatable stages. The American Academy of Dermatology recommends regular self-exams of the skin to catch this potentially deadly disease as early as possible.
To perform a skin self-exam, follow these steps:
- Download the American Academy of Dermatology body mole map to document any moles that you may find and to learn more about what you may be looking for.
- First, step in front of a large mirror in a well-lit room. Check the bare skin of your front and back for any abnormal spots or moles. Raise your arms to check your right and left sides.
- Then, bend your elbow so that you can examine your palm, hand, forearm, upper arm, and underarm in detail. Repeat for the opposite side.
- Sit on the floor. Carefully examine your feet, toes, and the skin in between the toes. Also check the soles of your feet for any abnormalities.
- Next, use a mirror to see the skin of your back and neck. It is also important to check the scalp for any signs of skin cancer—you may need to part your hair for a better look.
- Finally, use your mirror to check your lower back and buttocks.
When looking for skin abnormalities, follow the American Academy of Dermatology’s ABCDE’s of melanoma. Any moles or discolorations with asymmetry , an irregular border , varied colors , large diameter , or that evolve in their shape and size may actually be a cancerous growth.
Join us for “Lunch & Learn with Dr. Wolf Samlowski” on June 19th, 2012 at 11:30 a.m. to learn about the prevention of and managing melanoma and other cancers. For more information about this event, check out Southern Hills Hospital Events or call (702)880-2700 to register. If you have any further questions about skin self-exams or if you are interested in seeing a cancer specialist in the Las Vegas area, contact Southern Hills Hospital & Medical Center at (702) 880-2100.
In celebration of Mother’s Day, we’ve put together a list of quotes honoring mothers and motherhood, maternal bonds, and the influence of mothers in society:
- Mother love is the fuel that enables a normal human being to do the impossible. –Marion C. Garretty
- All I am or can be I owe to my angel Mother. –Abraham Lincoln, U.S. President
- My mother was the most beautiful woman I ever saw. All I am I owe to my mother. I attribute all my success in life to the moral, intellectual and physical education I received from her. –George Washington, U.S. President
- There never was a woman like her. She was gentle as a dove and brave as a lioness… The memory of my mother and her teachings were, after all, the only capital I had to start life with, and on that capital I have made my way. –Andrew Jackson, U.S. President
“iNotify” lets residents quickly alert hospital staff of their arrival from their Smartphone …
Educational booths and screenings offered to the community …
In recent years, new approaches to various surgical procedures have provided patients with shorter recovery times, fewer complications, and less pain. At Southern Hills Hospital & Medical Center, our mission is to offer some of the most technologically advanced, minimally invasive surgical procedures to the community of Las Vegas and the surrounding areas. In each of the following procedures, neurosurgeons and orthopedic surgeons work together to provide the best possible result.
In order to meet the growing needs of the men and women of Southwest Las Vegas, Southern Hills has augmented its neurological services to include a variety of craniotomy procedures. Craniotomies are a type of neurosurgery used for blood clot removal, to remove a brain tumor, or to relieve pressure within the skull.
- Joint replacement
The minimally invasive approach to joint replacement taken by the surgeons at Southern Hills significantly reduces hospital stays and recovery times. It is our mission to get you or your loved one back into an active lifestyle as soon as possible.
- Sports medicine
Athletes with acute or chronic injuries can get on the road to healing with the help of our various advanced surgical options for joint repair.
- Spine surgery
For patients struggling with severe back or neck pain, minimally invasive spine surgery can be an excellent way to regain lost quality of life. At Southern Hills, our advanced spine surgery program takes full advantage of our Brain Lab , which provides extra precision in navigating nervous tissue.
Not only are our surgeons highly trained and skilled in their craft, but each of our surgical technicians is also certified with the American Surgical Technology (AST) national certification. If you are interested in learning more about our minimally invasive surgical options, contact Southern Hills Hospital & Medical Center at (702) 880-2100. Patients can also pre-register for their procedure online by visiting SouthernHillsHospital.com .
We’re fortunate have some of the best nurses around. We thank you all and wish you a Happy Nurses Week!