Southern Hills Hospital & Medical Center offers Las Vegas-area residents the most comprehensive neurological and orthopedic services within the southern Nevada region. We also provide many healthcare options, ranging from breast cancer screenings to stroke detection and treatment. If you suffer from any of the above medical conditions, Southern Hills Hospital & Medical Center can help. Call us today at (702) 880-2100 to find out more about our comprehensive healthcare services.
To learn more about the many medical issues to which we can attend, please read the following articles.
- The March of Dimes offers new parents tips on how to get ready for bringing your baby home .
- Researchers predict that more than 47,000 American women will be diagnosed with uterine cancer in 2012. The National Cancer Institute discusses what you need to know about cancer of the uterus.
- In addition to monthly breast self-examinations, women should schedule regular breast cancer screenings with their healthcare provider. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention explains what to expect during this clinical exam.
- The American Diabetes Association breaks down the many complications that can result from diabetes .
- Do you know the warning signs of a heart attack ? The American Heart Association describes what symptoms may indicate the onset of this life-threatening condition.
- As the National Stroke Association reports, FAST —face, arms, speech, time—action can save a person’s life if they are suffering from a stroke.
- Craniotomy, or brain surgery , may be performed for many reasons, including the stoppage of brain hemorrhaging or swelling. The U.S. National Library of Medicine details what happens before and during this procedure.
- Another common reason for brain surgery is tumor removal. The National Brain Tumor Society goes into depth regarding the symptoms and diagnostic methods of brain tumors.
- The North American Spine Society offers 10 tips for a healthy back.
- Patients with deteriorating hips and knees often undergo joint replacement surgery to alleviate their pain and mobility restrictions. The National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases explains what joint replacement surgery is and who may need it.
Actress Jennie Garth knows firsthand how heart disease can affect a family. As this video demonstrates, Jennie’s father was first a victim of this life-threatening condition and then an inspiration for its eradication.
Jennie Garth’s father had his first heart attack at the age of 50. From that time forward, he endured countless heart procedures, including stent surgery, angioplasty, and open heart surgery. To avert her father’s heart issues, Jennie found a cardiologist at age 30, determined to beat the odds. Instead, her physician found that she suffered from a leaky heart valve. Though her condition is not necessarily a life-endangering one, Jennie has committed both herself and her family to engaging in sound lifestyle habits to maintain not only their heart health, but also their overall wellbeing.
Do you or a loved one suffer from heart disease? Southern Hills Hospital & Medical Center offers expert cardiology care for patients in the Las Vegas area. To learn more about our extensive array of services, including our stroke care options, please call (702) 880-2100.
Sunrise Health System’s Sunrise Hospital and Southern Hills Hospital today were named two of the nation’s Top Performers on Key Quality Measures™ by The Joint Commission, the leading accreditor of health care organizations in America. In other words? Our hospitals are reaffirmed as delivering the highest quality patient care in key measurable categories such as heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia and surgical care.
Our emergency room is never closed to you or your loved ones. Furthermore, our ER wait times are 30 minutes or less on average, which is consistently far below the national average. For added convenience, you can take advantage of our free ‘Text ER’ service to evaluate wait times for Southern Hills Hospital and our other Las Vegas-area facilities before you even leave home—simply text “ER” to 23000 and respond with your zip code. You will then receive the wait times of the hospitals nearest you. You can also visit our websites at SouthernHillsHospital.com to check the average ER wait times. With this vital information, you can make the best possible decision for you and your family. If you are having a medical emergency, call 9-1-1.
Southern Hills Hospital & Medical Center contains a comprehensive array of surgical services for individuals in the greater Las Vegas area. If you or a loved one suffers from a neurological or orthopedic problem that may require surgery, contact one of our highly skilled orthopedic surgeons for a consultation. We will discuss all available treatments for your condition, and if surgery is the best option, proceed with the utmost sensitivity to your needs and answer all questions prior to your procedure. Southern Hills Hospital & Medical Center prides itself on providing the highest quality care for all of our surgical patients. Below are several surgical procedures that our skilled physicians routinely perform at our Las Vegas facility.
Craniotomy is a type of brain surgery. This procedure is commonly performed on patients who require a tumor or blood clot removal. A neurosurgeon may also administer a craniotomy for hemorrhaging or skull pressure relief.
The hips and the knees are two joints that often require joint replacement surgery. Individuals who suffer from join deterioration and reduced function may undergo this procedure to have an existing joint replaced with a device that can capably substitute for the natural part.
Back and neck pain can become debilitating for many individuals. Though less-invasive methods may initially be sought, spine surgery often becomes the only remedy for severe injuries to the back or neck. Southern Hills Hospital & Medical Center is a nationwide leader in performing minimally-invasive spinal surgical procedures.
The surgeons at Southern Hills are also known for their minimally-invasive hysterectomies. Now women have a surgical option that will afford them less pain, nominal scarring, and quicker recovery times.
Single Balloon Enteroscopy
Single Balloon Enteroscopy is a surgical procedure in which a surgeon introduces a scope and balloon to the GI tract and opens the small intestine to better identify and treat a patient’s gastric issue. Southern Hills is proud to be one of the first facilities in southern Nevada that employs this innovative gastrointestinal practice.
If you require any of the aforementioned surgical procedures, contact the Southern Hills Hospital & Medical Center Consult-A-Nurse healthcare referral line at (702) 880-2100 today. We can help you locate a physician, as well as assist you through the surgery and recovery process so that you can begin enjoying a better quality of life more quickly.
The American Cancer Society is enacting 21st-century measures for developing modern cancer screening guidelines. As this video shows, these new guidelines will be formulated from comprehensive reviews that rely on science rather than emotion to determine appropriate screening strategies.
First, the ACS will conduct an extensive literature review from both U.S. and European databases. This information will then be compiled into one formative study, which will be analyzed by an impartial panel of experts. Much like a jury, these individuals will make their decisions based upon evidence in which they have no emotional investment. Through these examinations and conclusions, the ACS can then draw up guidelines that scientifically explain the harms and benefits of particular screenings or lack thereof to American patients.
Southern Hills Hospital & Medical Center provides extensive cancer screening options to patients in the greater Las Vegas area. To learn more about our healthcare services, including urgent care and stroke care, please call (702) 880-2100.
Diabetes is a chronic metabolic disorder that increases blood glucose levels and insulin resistance. Upon its onset, individuals may notice symptoms such as excessive hunger and thirst, frequent urination, extreme fatigue, and irritability. However, these symptoms can evolve into more severe complications like hypertension and hearing loss. Yet with proper treatment and a healthy lifestyle, many people who suffer from diabetes can delay or avert the physiological problems that often result from this disease. Below are some of the more common diabetes complications and how to avoid their development.
Hypertension , or high blood pressure, affects nearly two-thirds of those diagnosed with diabetes. If left untreated, it can induce the risk of other diabetes-related issues, such as heart attack, stroke, and kidney failure. However, many management methods exist for the treatment of hypertension. First, your physician can administer highly effective high blood pressure medications, including ACE inhibitors, beta blockers, and calcium channel blockers. Second, patients can become proactive in maintaining their blood pressure levels by engaging in preventive health measures, like maintaining good eating habits and a regular exercise regimen. Studies have shown that by upholding sound lifestyle choices, diabetes patients can greatly diminish their risk of hypertension.
Individuals with diabetes are twice as likely to experience hearing loss than those who do not suffer from this disease. How does diabetes contribute to hearing loss? Though the causal effects are yet to be fully understood, diabetes specialists believe that it stems from blood vessel damage. The ear structures depend upon small blood vessels for proper functioning. Researchers think that the high glucose levels from which diabetes patients suffer destroy these vessels. Hence, the onset of hearing loss. Therefore, blood glucose management is essential to ward off this common diabetes complication.
Diabetic patients can also suffer from neuropathy, or nerve damage. The high blood glucose levels that affect blood vessels can similarly destroy the nervous system, which relies on those vessels for nutrients. The extremities are particularly susceptible to the effects of neuropathy. Therefore, individuals with diabetes must be vigilant in maintaining their blood glucose levels to avoid this complication.
Southern Hills Hospital & Medical Center provides comprehensive diabetes screenings and management options for individuals in the greater Las Vegas area. If you would like to learn more about our healthcare services, including our maternity hospital, please call our Consult-A-Nurse healthcare referral line at (702) 880-2100.
Having a baby is a life-changing event often characterized by joy and excitement. It can also be quite a whirlwind experience, as you must entertain a constant stream of physicians, nurses and well-wishers in the first few days after your newborn’s arrival. A mere 48 hours later, many parents are sent home with their newborns; therefore, it’s important that you prepare your home for your baby’s arrival. Southern Hills Hospital & Medical Center can help new parents make sure that they’re ready to take their new addition home. Also, the following tips offer some helpful advice regarding the supplies that all parents should have stocked before their baby is born.
- Car Safety Seat. Purchase a car safety seat that is size-appropriate for your newborn and correctly installed in your vehicle.
- Crib. If you borrow a crib from a friend or family member, make sure that it has no lead paint or vanish sealant on it. All cribs sold after 1989 already adhere to these guidelines. Also, do not use a crib whose slats are more than 2 3/8 inches apart.
- Diapers. Regardless of whether you use disposable or cloth diapers, plan on going through at least 70 per week.
- Clothing. You will need at least six to eight onesies, sleepers, and socks. If your baby is born during the winter months, or you live in a cooler climate, you may also need to invest in a few heavier pieces of clothing.
- Supplies. To keep your newborn warm, you should have a minimum of four to six receiving blankets. You should also stock an ample supply of soft washcloths and towels. Furthermore, new parents should be prepared with a handful of helpful products such as petroleum jelly, rubbing alcohol, cotton swabs, infant nail clippers, a rectal thermometer, and a suction bulb for stuffy noses.
Are you preparing your home for a new baby? Southern Hills Hospital & Medical Center offers soon-to-be and new parents comprehensive newborn services, including childbirth and breastfeeding classes. To learn more about our maternity hospital, please call our Consult-A-Nurse healthcare referral line at (702) 880-2100.
Breast cancer is a disease that can affect both women and men at any age. Though rare in men, breast cancer is the most common cancer in women no matter their race or ethnicity and claims more than 40,000 lives each year. However, techniques for detecting breast cancer have become both more advanced and accessible over the last several decades. At Southern Hills Hospital & Medical Center, we provide extensive breast cancer screening options for patients in the Las Vegas area, including the following:
Clinical Breast Exam
A clinical breast exam is a manual examination by a physician or nurse to detect signs of breast cancer, such as tissue lumps or nipple discharge. Starting at age 20, women should have a clinical breast exam every three years. At age 40, female patients should receive an annual clinical breast exam.
A mammogram is an x-ray of the breast. It is the most effective way to identify signs of breast cancer that cannot be felt or detected by a clinical breast exam. Women should undergo a baseline mammography at age 35. Once they turn 40, patients should get a mammogram every year.
A breast ultrasound uses sound waves to take images of the breast. A physician may recommend a breast ultrasound for women with dense breast tissue, or if a mammogram has already detected an unidentifiable mass within the breast.
When a mammogram or breast ultrasound cannot yield conclusive results, some women may undergo a breast MRI. A breast MRI uses a magnetic field and radio wave energy to create pictures of the breast. Typically, an MRI can give a much clearer image of potentially cancerous lumps and masses and allows the physician to accurately determine the next course of action for treatment.
Southern Hills Hospital & Medical Center offers comprehensive women’s health services, including breast cancer screenings and treatment options. To find out more about our healthcare services, please call our Consult-A-Nurse healthcare referral line at (702) 880-2100.
- When to seek medical care for gallbladder issues
- What happens if you don’t treat a herniated disc?
- Knowing How to Interpret the Results of Your Cholesterol Test
- Don’t get hurt by hard-to-open packaging this holiday season
- Men’s Health Month: Tips to Help You or the Man in Your Life Stay Healthy for Life